It is a dark, kind of hazy night with a star or two peeking through. The clock reads ten after midnight and I am not sleepy. Hey, I can go out in the garage and put potting soil in moms house plants that really need it. So out I am going, with all the other doors locked up tight. My dog Leo is wanting to stay inside and munch his dog food as is his routine before bedtime.
I check the door between the house and garage to make sure it is not locked first and out I am going. Ballancing three large house plants fills my arms and I sing a song of joy. What a thrill mom will have when she comes home in a couple of days. A blue pot, a dark green pot and a devilish pink pot of drooping plants, soon to be perked up and growing strong.
"Somewhere over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby." I think of how that is my moms favorite song. With no one around I sing loud and strong to the garage. Joy, pure joy fills me as I open the bag of soil and smell the richness of it. Earthy, whole, nourishing as the earth itself.
The first blue pot is now filled, my hands covered with dirt and a bit of water that spilled. Grow plant, grow strong as only a lovingly cared for can.
Bang! The door between the house and garage slams shut. Okay no big deal I had checked it, now on to the second plant needing my care. Now the rich smell of soil permeates the air as I scoop it with my hands the much needed soil. Who needs a cup or scoop, my hands are just as fine, the water is in a cup though, no need for me to make mud pies. A dash of water then I wait to se if it needs more dirt.
Again I start to sing even louder this time. "Somewhere over the rainbow. Skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true". Hey this is neat, who knew a garage has such great acoustics?
One more plant to go in the devilish pink pot, what pure joy. Leo starts to whine as only he can do. Okay boy just let me finish here and I'll let you out here with me and we'll go for a run in the cool grass.
"Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me. Where troubles melt like lemon drops. Away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me." I do love to sing, sweet like the happiness spilling out from my heart.
Okay Leo, here we go for that rpomised run. I grasp to open the door, oh no, it's locked!
Leo hold on, let momma check all the doors from out here. Locked, locked and LOCKED. I am locked out and I put the safety boards in case anyone tried to break in. All the doors and windows have safety locks and boards in them. I look to the sky and ask how many times I've groused to myself about putting the safety boards in?
Okay, the neighbor Annie has a spare key, over I trudge seeing that there are no lights on over there. Was that the witch I heard calling "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too"?
Knock, knock, knock I found myself pounding on Annies door. Please Lord let her be home, please don't let me have to sleep in the garage. Oh crap, now my hand hurts from knocking on her door. Obviously she is not home, bummer.
I walk back in the cool air as Leo starts to howl. He's a real stinker you know. He'll get all upset and pee all over the house and chew on my shoes. He knows better but for some reason my moms has been a challenge to his house breaking training and good behavior. I'm in big trouble here. Leo, Leo it's okay, momma will find a way to get in, calm down right now. Calm down I say, that's a good boy, I'm right here.
There has to be a way I mutter to the house. Okay there it is, my bedroom is open and the light is on. Barriers, the screen and the thick soil freshly watered beneath the it. Light begins to dawn now. There is a step stool in the garage and a sharp tool to cut the screen. TA DA, I am saved, or so I thought...
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow", lyrics by E.Y Harburg for the movie The Wizard of Oz, (1939).
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment